Thursday, January 22, 2009

This is a dangerous sport



Today (Thursday if I remember correctly) started just like any other.  About 0C this morning and the humidity running a little high.  Our walk over to the hill takes about 10 minutes, just like any other day.

The inside guys that do the timing and data handling start to arrive about 8am for an 11:30 start.  We gather our backs of equipment (which include the 4 radar units, lots of eyes for intermeditate times, and head over to the Hahnenkammbahn (lift) to the top.  

Brian, who manages the start and overseas most thing 'outside' has boxes of timing equipment to ensure that we don't have any issues during a race that is sent to live TV.  Ted, oversee'r of all, the rest of the world covered and from any angle.  

I leave the start about 90 minutes before the start of the race and start setting up the start radar which shows how fast they accelerate followed by the Mausefalle jump (just seconds after the start) - racers hit 120+kph here.  This radar unit is installed on the side of a scaffolding that is somehow clued to the side of a cliff.  They even charge you to watch the race from here.  If you check the photos on my web page you can see it pointed down at almost 45 degrees (it doesn't look like much as it is just a box about 4" x 4").

Next, I ski through most of the course (bypassing the Stielhang) which I avoid at most costs.  I've skied it once there year just to say I did.  It is nothing but a wild off camber high speed turn.  Oh, it is steep as well.  

Larkenschuss is fairly straightforward as it is on somewhat flat terrain.  But, the Zeil makes up for that.  If it is 'soft' enough I can almost ski to the TV tower that the radar is mounted on.  If it scraped down to the ice, it is better that I walk down through the snow so that I don't end up on ORF TV in a slide for life.  This radar is the money shot though.  It defines the speed that 60000 spectators see as the racer klings to his edges as he blasts through the finish.

Which brings me to todays race under somewhat sunny skies.  Daniel Albrecht mis-judged the Zeilsprung and landed very poorly requiring him to be airlifted unconcious.  More on Ski Racing.

No comments: