I am just ending my 2 weeks here at Lake Louise. We have had some pretty great weather, and some pretty interesting weather. I have a few updates, just a bit late, mostly due to internet issues at the Chateau Lake Louise.
This one is from about a week ago - last Friday
Take today for example. It was the first of 2 ladies downhill races. However, it was snowing and apparently very windy at the Top of the World Chair. Clearly, it was. The FIS correctly called for the race to be moved down to the lower of 3 starts (the Men's SG start). No problem even if we only have less than 60 minutes to make it all work. That includes having the commercial banners moved, and all the timing equipment. To move all the timing equipment takes about 6 people who have to carry all this equipment down (not on the race course) and through the ungroomed powder (more on that later).
With minutes (and I mean just minutes), we got all the equipment in place for a 12:14pm time sync and a POV (Point of View) camera departing at 12:17pm. As the well, the FIS called for all skiers to ski at 1 minute 15 second intervals as the weather was only going to get worse.
After the race (and a Podium finish for Canada), Ted, Skunk and I went back up to the top for a single run. When we got to the top, it was blowing stink, and I mean stink. Best guess is that the winds were well over 100kph (I have video).
But (and a big but), we got to ski down (way off the course) in knee deep powder (sorry, no video). :)
Over the past 2 weeks, we have actually managed to get some skiing in (for a change). Last Thursday both Ted and I did some skiing (much like today). Through the open bowls as well as into the glades.
So, while Calgary was getting pounded by the snow and wind on Friday (that shut down Calgary and they are still recovering), you can listen to Ted tell it like it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment