Saturday, November 29, 2008

CBC sucks


Apparently they are not using our Radar Speed graphics.

Surprise to us.

So, unfortunately, you at home didn't get to see speeds.  I'm not sure if you got a verbal or not, and won't be able to tell until I get home next week.

This was a boring DH from my perspective.  There wasn't much of a change in the first 30.  Peter Fill raced a great race.  If your going to watch this, and haven't already, it doesn't get exciting until the end until the sun started to come out.

It was pretty warm by Lake Louise standards (-6C at the start I think), but it was absolutely freezing where I was 1/3 of the way down the course.  With no sun, and a wind it just chilled me to the bone.

Tomorrow is the Super G.  We moved the start down the mountain (to the top of Tickety Chutes -- just above where I was standing).  Again, timing was the last off the mountain as we had to wire in all 5 channels of data we use to our equipment (for you timing propeller heads, that is:

  1. Primary Start 
  2. Backup Start
  3. Headset for starter
  4. Headset for backup hand timing
  5. Data - This is for the display board that we run at the start
This means we have to pull the cables out of the trees and then splice in our lines.  Not hard work, but still an hour's worth of splicing at cold temps.  And, we have to wait till all the other crews have moved their equipment in place (like put the tent up, install the start posts, medial has to put up the pretty looking face that you see on TV, etc).  

So, after that is done, we skied down in the almost dark.  It is work next Saturday as it all runs late and we ski down in total darkness.

Now, some of the nicer things about the Chateau Lake Louise.  Last night, while trying to find a package that was couriered to me from Toronto last Sunday, I found out that Canada Post does NOT deliver to the Chateau.  But, it isn't in Lake Louise either. Canada Posts web page says it is in Edmonton, but apparently parts of Canada Post are on strike.  If I'm lucky, I will get it before I leave for home a week ago.  The staff here did all they could to find it.  No joy yet.

Part 2 was that one of the staff at the desk offered to help me out with my laundry by taking it to a wash and fold in Banff today.  20 minutes later, we find out that there is no wash and fold.  Damn, that means I might have to do my own laundry on Monday.  But, wait one...  They offer to throw my laundry (not much) into theirs and have it delivered to my room later today.  When I got back, there it was.. all folded and clean.  Excellent. 

3 comments:

Nicholas Baron said...

CBC was showing speeds from both traps, Karen Lee Gartner was saying she didn't like S1 as it was on a corner.

Mike W said...

Isn't that interesting. Karen Lee Gartner needed to go look at the speed trap as it was above the corner by about 200 meters. It was a straight on shot. Ah, the power of the press.

Michele said...

Good to know about Canada Post in Lake Louise --- i was going to send you a package there.