Friday, April 3, 2009

Vacation to Silver Star BC

Carolyn and I arrived on Monday from Toronto.  This last minute vacation managed to find us a great rate on West Jet for the 2 of us return.  We splurged a bit on the accommodation based on the recommendations of some friends that were here 2 weeks before us.

Driving through Vernon, we noticed the extreme lack of snow.  I guess we should have checked the elevations differences between Vernon and Silver Star.  Once we made the drive up here, the snow banks can be measured in meters and the view is amazing.

Monday, we could have skied for free just by presenting our boarding pass, but we chose to take it easy and unpack and find some dinner.   Snowbird Lodge is located right in the village.  This isn't Whistler (as in it is a pretty small resort), but it is very quaint.  Once you get here, you can park the car unless you wish to drive back DOWNHILL into Vernon.

It didn't take us long to find the Bakery.  It also didn't take us long to find out that the owner of the Bakery knows my sister (left over from the television show, Making the Cut).  The requirement is for at least 2 trips each day into the bakery.  Not to worry, everything is low cal food! (yeah, right)

Today is Friday.  The Internet here is about the same or worse than Lake Louise (at least at the Hotel).  Today, I finally managed to get my VPN working to the house which has allowed me to get some decent speed and the ability to upload some pictures.


It has snowed here every day (remember, this is April).  About a foot has fallen all week resulting in some amazing skiing.  For those that are here for the K2 National Ski race, it has been work as they have had to remove snow from the race course every day.  It was great to ski right by those working on the course (hey, is that Andy Wolfe???)

Thursday we skied fresh snow all day.  We even blasted through the trees/glade in knee deep powder at times.  

Friday, we skied all morning, came in for lunch and then checked ourselves into the spa for a few hours.  As I write this, we are headed over to meet some friends from Craigleith (who were here for the K2 races).

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warm (make that almost 0C).  Down in Vernon, it might hit +12C.

p.s.  Sarah... I have not YET skied Gowabunga, but I will!!  However, I did do Gong Show.

No comments: