Friday, September 11, 2009

Wow.. what a place



At dinner tonight, 3 of us came up with the same opinion of this place at the same time. Portillo is like a cruise ship. You are in the middle of the Andes mountains, with Argentina literally feet away. You have an assigned seating time and an assigned table. Your waiters know you all be name (although mine is apparently trying to hunt me down to sign my dinner receipt).

The skiing is pretty amazing. It isn't Lake Louise in terms of the amount of skiable acreage, but it does have lots of places that you can traverse to and hike if you wish. It is spring here in Chile and I just had on of those amazing ski days. We ran 4 ski races this morning and finished by 1:30pm. That was about perfect considering it was -17C at 9am and once the sun cleared the mountain it was well above 0c about 10:30am.

This was a FIS race (pre world cup), but we had racers from the World Cup. I got to listen to the like of Robby Dixon, John Kucera, Frank Borque, Manny and others rib each other about who was going to beat who. Even the forerunners were World Cup ranked.

I then spent the afternoon at Tio Bob's (again). A bunch of us just sat around and watched the sun move to the west. What a place for an office.

Tomorrow I hope to get out in the morning for 1 final day of spring skiing. We leave for Santiago at 1pm, with a flight at 7pm. I arrive back in Toronto early Sunday morning.

No comments: