Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thursday - Training Run for Women



After standing in the start hut all day (from about 9:30am till 3pm), no matter how warm or cold it is, I usually am cold by the end of the day. This results to a bee-line to the hot tub as soon as I'm able to get back to the hotel.

Yesterday, most of us headed down to enjoy the tub, only to find it at about 45 degree F. Well, it wasn't that cold, but it wasn't that warm either. It was actually about 97F. Just not that warm for a hot tub. It should be about 103F. 102 can feel cool, while 104F feels pretty hot. Well..... I jumped in it today and almost jumped out. It was 108F. Now I know how a lobster feels. At least I lived and didn't end up on some plate with warm butter.

This brings up a point. How hard is it for the guy who stands near the desk at the pool to check the temperature from time to time?? All he has to do is fold some towels and then sell some beer to those in the tub. Maybe it was his ploy to sell more beer today. Who knows........
Saturday is the live TV show, if your in Austria, or some other place in the EU. Canada will see it on tape delay, likely starting around 4pm ET. As the starter, I stand on the right side of the TV picture in my Red Spyder Precision Timing issued jacket. ORF (Austrian TV) will likely show only the first 34 skiers or so. CBC will show the first 30, any other Canadians and any crashes.

For those of you looking for new pictures, it is going to be tough for me to grab any during the actual race. I might be able to mount the camera with a remote shutter release and see what I can get. I might get lucky, but it is tough with so much going on during the start.

Stop reading here for most of you. Propeller heads, carry on----

The attached picture is the junction box that we install at each start. Brian Cooper built a couple of these to make our lives easier. On it you will find the following:
  • System A start and a feed to a Timy to record start times
  • System B start and a feed to a Timy to record start times
  • Headset for the starter
  • Headset for the backup hand timer
  • Display data from from the bottom so we can make our cute display boards at the start show real running time just like in the finish area
  • Data going from the Radar gun to the finish hut - we are practising for another venue to see how well it works

No comments: