

Simply put, we went out drinking. Very late night. I never got to the update.
So, back to Sunday. Our second day on the hill and this allowed us to spend some time to really get to know the hill. OMG, what a hill. At Lake Louise there are only 3 areas that a little hard to slide slip. Here, at the Hahnenkamm, there are at least 6 areas that I can count that will make you change underwear if you mess up the slide slip that you are doing at about 60kph.
I have yet to do the last 2, and I have a choice to either do them tomorrow (Tuesday) or climb up through the woods for about 200 vertical meters carrying batteries for the radar. If you watch this on this coming Saturday, this will be the 3rd speed into the finish.
Yesterday, we had the pleasure of having lunch in the start building. Lots of history here and lunch we no exception. The start building is built into the side of the hill and has a complete living area attached to it. Joining us for lunch was Dave Pymm and the President of the Kitzbuhel Ski Club. We just lucked out with that lunch.
We spent today getting the rest of the 'eyes' in place and working. As this is the super bowel of ski races, you can just image the amount of advertising in place. It gets in our way everywhere and we have to deal with it. Advertising sells, so timing is expected to work around it. Argh.....
My job was to ensure that the 2 radar devices we are using to measure speed where installed in a good location and working correctly. When I left the start, that one was fine (it will used to measure the fastest to 100kph). When I got back there are 4:30pm (it was getting dark), the radar was no where to be found and the entire area where I had the radar mounted was now covered with Audi advertising. We can't even shoot a radar signal through the advertising, as it is built on an aluminum base.
The 2nd radar was on a part of the hill I just didn't want to slide slip down today. It might have had something to do with the Snow Cat at the bottom of the run. So, I had to climb up to it. By my calculations, it was about the same distance as walking to the top of Craigleith from the bottom (about 250 vertical meters).
In the picture above, you get a view down to the finish from Radar 2.
No comments:
Post a Comment