Once the actual racing starts, the days get long and the last thing you feel like doing is writing a book (or blog for that matter).
Have a look at the attached picture and the sea of humanity.
Race day on Saturday for the Downhill was amazing. The weather was perfect as was the course. It wasn't without controversy thou. The final jump into the finish was totally removed this year in the interest of racer safety. This pissed off most of the Austrian fans as that jump has been in the race for over 70 years.
Once the race was over (no accidents, at least non serious), I made a trip around the course to pick up the radar equipment. While I was pulling out the units at the Mousefalle and one of the American's on the viewing stand started to ask me questions on how what it was and how it works. Turns out it was Scott McCartney from the US Ski Team. Two years ago, Scott crashed and passed me on the finish line. (Click here for the video) It was great to talk to Scott and tell him how good it was to see him skiing again. Pretty cool.
Kitzbuhel is very very big party. After dinner on Saturday, I went for a stroll downtown and I have never seen so many drunk and stupid people in one place at the same time. No need for washrooms, etc. They 'just do it' were they are standing. Then again, it was about midnight.
Sunday was the Slalom race on a different hill (just to the west of the Downhill race course). A 2 run race with about 40000 fans standing there. Again, the weather was pretty good and very loud. Hence the reasons for the David Clark headsets. Remind me to send them a Christmas card as they saved my ears. After the end of the race, comes the 6 hours that we spend packing up all the equipment that took us 5 days to install.
Just when you think it is safe to go to bed, your dreams are dashed and you have to present yourself at a dinner that has the major players of the entire event join you. A 4 course dinner that takes hours (how civilized) even if it is Lamb. At least we didn't have to get up at 4am to catch a train, as the Ski club was kind enough to send a van to drive us to the airport. Perfect.
Once at the airport on Monday morning all we have to do is drop the bags and head to the lounge. No such luck. Seems that Air Canada has had to divert a plane from Frankfurt to Munich. Instead of a plane with 50 people on it, it is now full. So much for using my last upgrade coupon.
Fortunately, the Air Canada gods must have been watching out for me. Just as the doors closed, the 'In Charge' attendant finds me and asks me if I have a coupon for an upgrade. Do I?? You bet I do. 30 seconds later, I'm sitting up in 3K and testing out the recliner. I would just hate to see that last coupon go to waste.
I'm now back in Canada where it actually gets cold (in Austria, -10C is pretty cold). Going to be a frosty one skiing this weekend at Craigleith. It is great to be back.
Don't forget to review The Might Skunk's Blog in your spare time.
No comments:
Post a Comment