Saturday, January 16, 2010

The superbowl of Ski Races


After a somewhat quiet break from the end of Lake Louise, I find myself here in Kitzbuhel, Austria for the Super Bowl of Ski races (ok, it was only quiet if you don't count starting an entire kitchen renovation including replacing over 700 square feet of tile---no, I'm not doing it, but I am writing cheques). My trip was much better than the Skunk's, who arrived in Europe during the height of a snow storm. You can read his blog, but just a reminder, it is R rated, but every entertaining.

After leaving Toronto on Thursday night I found myself arriving at the Vella Mellon in Kitzbuhel about 14 hours later. 1 plane (bumped to Executive class) and 5 trains later I finally got to unpack. Cooper and I were met at the door by Herta who runs this wonderful villa.

Dinner was a fine affair as I met up with the rest of the timing crew (except for Jimmy who should arrive on Sunday). Ted, Skunk and Andy got here a few days earlier and got a LOT of things done on the hill, which takes a lot of pressure off for the next few days. Dinner (amazing as it was) dragged on and I finally got to bed about 9pm and the alarm woke me up at 7am. Thanks Penny (melatonin is the secret)!

This morning, as we walked outside, we were met with an absolutely tremendous view of the village of Kitzbuhel. Not a cloud in the ski, and, as there was no wind, the smoke was rising straight up. Just a beautiful view to say the last.

Tomorrow, it is supposed to rain and I am hearing rumors that we might not actually have a training run on Tuesday. That would leave only Wednesday and Thursday for training runs with the SG on Friday, Downhill on Saturday and the Slalom on Sunday.

Todays disappointing part was after I left the hill. I had a chocolate croissant on my brain. After the 10 minute walk to the bakery (got there are 5:30) only to find out it closes at 12:30 on Saturdays. What is up with that?

No comments: