Friday dawned with a training run at 7am. The first trip out at 6am proved that it was much colder than I thought. Back to the room. Gortex rain pants, Sypder Shell and the North Face jacket. Glad I did that as standing on the start ramp right by the Chateau Frontenac was about the same as standing at the start at Lake Louise. (Ok, not THAT bad, but you get the idea). The wind was howling off the river from the east. Still above zero, but not warm like the other days.
Training was entertaining, if you were a spectator. Many did not make it 20 feet before sliding down on their butts. Others crashed hard into the right turn near the bottom. That is the very steep part that has a 'compression' at the bottom followed by an immediate right turn. Many hit the wall very very hard. Also, it looked like that wall took some damage, as I saw the crews rebuilding it and strengthening it.
The attached video is from the start of the media race earlier today. There are 2 small jumps on the ramp down. That seems to do in about 1/2 the people. If you don't make it over those jumps, you don't make it up the ramp at the bottom. A fair number of media types did spend a bit of time figuring how to climb up that hill.
I did keep looking or Rick Mercer to be in this. Haven't seen him yet.
1 comment:
I'll get Rick in the game for you. Joe
Post a Comment